Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Getting Android running on a Sprint HTC Touch

Oh what a fun adventure this has been! I was intrigued by Google Android OS after I got Google's SDK running in Eclipse so I could have a good cell/smart phone emulator to test the mobile site I was writing for Binny's.

 

This is the video I made using the Android SDK in Eclipse to emulate a smart phone running Android. Very cool that the plug-in integrates so nicely into Eclipse! I have been playing with Eclipse for years. Adobe finally came out with their own version of an IDE for ColdFusion called Adobe ColdFusion Builder based solely on Eclipse! Pretty sweet!

So back to my Android adventures on my Sprint HTC Touch. I started out at a site MyHTCPhone.com with a single cab file that had Android 1.1 on it. After I got that going, and seeing it was only Android 1.1, I found this website, code.google.com. Of course it would be a wiki on the Google code pages!

After extracting the contents of package(SuperHero081609.zip) I went with to the root of the SD card per all the instructions I found, I started fussing around with the config file, "default.txt", I figured out that for my phone I had to set a parameter "board-htcvogue.panel_type" to 3. After that, all was wonderful! Here is a video of me booting to Android;

 

The only thing that doesn't work as of yet is the camera/video. I can view all the old images and videos that I have on the phone, I just can't record at the moment. Another thing I have yet to test is the GPS functionality. But that was already spotty on my phone as it was. Some times I would connect/find satellites, most of the time not.

So to sum it up;

  1. Go to http://code.google.com/p/vogue-android/downloads/list and download one of the bundles; SuperHero081609.zip , PureBlack081609.zip, zen-hero-090809.zip, android-1.5-2009-08-08.zip, herolite.zip
  2. Extract all files some place locally on your PC.
  3. Edit the "default.txt" file and change/add "board-htcvogue.panel_type=3" (Mine worked with a setting of 3, if you get a flashing white screen, try changing this setting to 1 or 2, but 3 worked for me. Here is a copy of my default.txt;
    set RAMSIZE 0x08000000
    set MTYPE 1667
    set KERNEL zImage
    set initrd initrd.gz
    ## The following kernel parameters are useful
    # ppp.username - The username used to connect to the network when dialing #777
    # ppp.password - The password used to connect to the network when dialing #777
    # ppp.nostart - Set ppp.nostart=1 to disable starting the ppp connection on boot
    # msm_sdcc.msmsdcc_fmax - The maximum frequency (in Hz) used by the SD controller
    # pm.sleep_mode - The mode used when the phone is off
    # 0=Power Collapse Suspend, 1=Power Collapse, 2=Apps Sleep,
    # 3=Slow Clock and Wait for Interrupt 4=Wait for Interrupt
    # Default is 3, use 0 for best power savings
    # board-htcvogue.panel_type - Panel type used to power the panel off and on
    # 1=Hitachi 2=Topoly 3=Samsung
    # clock-7x00.mddi - MDDI clock (try 0xa51 or 0xe2c)
    # clock-7x00.ahb_div - Advanced Host Bus divider, default is 4
    # 2 is faster but uses more power
    # clock-7x00.a11 - ARM11 clock speed in MHz, best to leave this alone
    # lcd.density - Defaults to 160, 128 shows more on screen
    # vogue-ts.XMIN - xmin value for the touchscreen calibration. Also YMIN, XMAX, YMAX, PMIN, PMAX.
    ## Probably the only one of these you will need to change is the panel type, NZ Vogues seem to all have type 1
    # US Sprint vogues usually have type 2 or 3 I think.
    # Make sure you add these between the quotes on the following line and that your editor hasn't split the line up.
    set cmdline "ppp.username= ppp.password= mddi.width=320 mddi.height=480 msm_sdcc.msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 pm.sleep_mode=0 board-htcvogue.panel_type=3 no_console_suspend"
    boot



  4. Copy them all to the root of your SD/Memory Card in your phone. If you have to ask "where is the root", you shouldn't be attempting this. Go out and buy a Google Phone!


  5. On the phone, go to "File Explorer" and then to the root of your SD/Memory card. Click on "haret.exe" You should have a new window open and click "Run".


  6. You should now see the Linux Penguin(Tux) and a bunch of text scrolling on the screen. It's gonna look like it hangs but let it go. If you look closely, the text is REAL small, you will see what it's doing. Give it a little bit and it will start loading Android.



That's it kids! You should now be running Android, or some flavor of, on your Sprint HTC Touch. In my opinion, the "Hero" builds are slower than the plain android build. Even though the graphics, widgets, etc.. are MUCH slicker in Hero, the straight up android flies!

27 comments:

bytor2112 said...

Hmmm. To me it sounds like you didn't put the files in the right place.

All files have to be put in the root of your storage card. Not in a folder in the root.

Dabhs79 said...

Is it possible to load android on htc p3400i......

if you can help me out.....

Unknown said...

Hi, I've tried this several times and I'm always getting a white flash screen and never get to see the tux image, just some text and the blank screen! I changed the settings as described here and on other websites. My cel phone is an HTC ELF (Touch) GSM. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ariel

bytor2112 said...

@Dabhs79 Sorry, I only know it will load on my phone. For more information check this message board, it's where I dug up all my info;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Keep scrolling down and see if you can find your phone.

bytor2112 said...

@Ariel I can only think of 2 things that might be going on.

1. When you first fire off haret, towards the bottom you should see a grey box and it should read "Found machine Generic MSM7xxx"(it detects what type of processor you have in your phone), if it doesn't say that, I don't think this build will run on your processor type.

2. You may have a bad "data" file in the root of your storage card. Try deleting that and running haret again. It will create a new data file if all goes well.

If all else fails, have you tried copying copying my default.txt file above and using it?

RenegadeRocks said...

Mine says it found a generic OmaP processor but it still goes into a "White Screen" after a few lines of text. The last text is "Jumping into Kernel" and then it just goes white !
Can you help ? I tried "1",'2','3','4','5' in the field u suggested, but I get the same result !

bytor2112 said...

@Renegade I think you have the same problem as Ariel above. I don't think it will run on your processor type. All I Can tell you about is what I have running and it's an MSM7xxx class processor.

As stated above, try the forums at http://forum.xda-developers.com/ scroll down and see if you can find the images that matches your phone and dive into that forum.

That's the best I can do for you. Sorry!

ahs@ngh@lib said...

Hi, I am the same problem that @Arial is facing.

In the gray box it is

Found Machine Generic TI OMAP

any solution...!

bytor2112 said...

Hey guys, the best I can do is say search Google for the following and see if that helps. Don't include the quoted when pasting into Google search;

"site:xda-developers.com Generic TI OMAP"

I can only help with my experiences with my phone.

Sorry!

One update though, it seems they moved the files to sourceforge. Chek the link below for the latest files;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/

Have fun folks!

Gachl said...

All I get, when I try this, is a white stable screen and after a while the phone makes a sound and I can push the power button twice and I get back to windows instantly :(

Unknown said...

I am trapped in the Linux loading screen for 2 hours.The last lines are [396.425298] r5i00000000 r4i00000000

Unknown said...

When i run haret and run default.txt, i get an error saying Please set start of ram (RAMADDR)

Unknown said...

hey dude ran it on my htc touch elf alltel version it works great just worried is it over clocking my system and why does the battary die quicker like 2 hours

Unknown said...

can u pls give me the xact file n also wer did ya edit ur txt document and does it wrk on d normal htc touch p3450 ?? pls help n its safe ryut ?? thanx

Saurabh said...

I have small problem while loading android on my htc touch, i followed exact steps as you mentioned, when i run the haret.exe and select run in window my phone screen starts flickering and nthing happens i never see any linux penguin. Can you guyz please help me out to load android on my htc touch

Unknown said...

yo i just put this on my htc touch dual/neon200, all i get is the loading bar then it will go to full and freeze the whole phone, i dont get to see the linux console or tux image or anything, it just freezes on linux loading bar, any help appreciated cheers

Bhushan.N.B said...

please help me to get android on my htc t2333
please

Justin said...

hi can you tell me is it work on HTC Touch P3452

Sammy123x said...

Well I did everything good but on the end if the program is running I get a whie screen
then my phone goes down >.>
and I need to restart it..

KingGinger55 said...

Was only doing a blank white screen (with the right processor) and i tried =1 =2 =3 then i tried deleting the data file and finally ended up getting it running perfectly after i tried =3 and put another space between =3 and the next set of words and deleted the data file. Now if only my poor old touch was hooked up to sprint services or had a wifi raido. Sigh

Fortran Man said...

Got this running quickly. Set up an account on gmail. Did a soft reset and ran haret again. Now every time I get a locked screen with a message to use the Menu key - but I see no Menu key.

Fortran Man said...

Got this going right away. Then I was able to create a gmail account. Did a Soft reboot to Win Mobile. But afterwards I was faced with an Android locked screen asking me to use the "Menu Key." But a "Menu Key" is never displayed - only a half-screen telling me to use the "Menu Key."

bytor2112 said...

Sorry folks! I haven't played with this in a few years now. I just went out and got an Android phone. To be honest, I didn't even know they were still working on it!

Good luck to all and I wish I could help more!

Fortran Man said...

I guess that says it all! Go and buy an Android phone - but what fun is that?

bytor2112 said...

I had a year of fun with it to say the least. But it's filed so far back in my "vault" it's a little tough to unlock at this moment. I don't even know if I have the charger to fire that phone back up!

Unknown said...

Hello, this can avalible on a Htc Touch (http://www.gadgetnutz.com/images/library/Gary/htc_touch_front-right2.jpg)

Unknown said...

It show "Please set start of ram (RAMADDR)

Post a Comment